Divide the task and multiply the success – why teamwork is just as critical for procurement success as individual brilliance.
Sue Steele, Senior Vice President Global Supply Management for Jacobs, asserts the value of collaboration and teamwork for procurement success.
Sue also reveals what skills she looks for when hiring at Jacobs, discusses the critical importance of mentoring, and outlines the key skills procurement professionals need.
1. What were your first 3 jobs?
- Student Activities Advisor at Auburn University
- Energy Conservation Consultant at Florida Power & Light (FPL)-Miami, Florida
- Power Services Representative-FPL, Miami, Florida
2. What’s one thing you know now, that you wish you’d known at the start of your career?
I wish I’d known that teamwork and collaboration are just as important as individual performance.
3. What key skills are critical for procurement in the next 5 years?
- Strategic Sourcing
- Systems Savvy
- Cost Leadership.
4. How valuable have mentors been in your career?
Mentors are absolutely critical for career success. Throughout my career I have benefited from mentoring by executives, career coaches and peer to peer mentors.
5. What does it take to work at Jacobs? What are you looking for when you hire talent?
Jacobs is a technology, engineering, and construction firm so skills in those fields are preferable. We also look for experience with our clients or competitors in the Engineering & Construction industry.
Leadership, teamwork, good communication skills and innovation are other qualities we rate most highly.
The Procurious Career Boot Camp will increase your stamina, get you in the best career shape of your life and help you stand out from the crowd.
It’s not too late to sign up. Enlist here and get access to our 15 free podcasts from some of the best career coaches around. Don’t miss out – your career will thank you for it!